During this time of year when windows are likely opened to let in fresh air, Andersen Corporation is encouraging homeowners to familiarize themselves with ways to help prevent window-related accidents.
Windows and doors do more than provide views, sunlight and breezes; they can provide an important path to escaping a fire or emergency. Yet left open, windows can be a potential fall hazard. We believe that companies making products for the home should help increase safety awareness in the home.
Andersen offers the following dos and don’ts:
- Close and lock windows and doors
- Position beds and other furniture away from windows
- Consider installing window opening control devices or window guards
- Make an emergency escape plan, and include a window as one of the escape routes
- Leach young children unsupervised
- Depend on insect screens and keep children from falling out of windows
- Paint, nail or seal windows shut
- Forget about window and door safety when making repairs to your home
As part of its LookOut For Kids® window safety program, Andersen is introducing updated materials and tips to help educate consumers and caregivers. To learn more about window and door safety, download our free Look Out for Kids brochure.